The Cadet Corps has been an integral part of Branch 594 since 1974 and the ongoing support to this Corps is one of the most important responsibilities of the Legion.
Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps, which are located across Canada, are jointly administered by the Department of National Defence and the Army Cadet League of Canada and the vast majority are locally sponsored by a branch of the Royal Canadian Legion.
Our Cadets hold weekly parades at the Branch on Wednesday evenings from September thru June. The mission of the Cadet program and the Legion are intertwined in many ways such as service to our veterans and the community. Many of our Cadets are children and grandchildren of Branch members; however, the program is open to any young person aged 12-18 in the community.
The Cadet Corps assists the Branch in numerous ways by volunteering (both adults and Cadets) to help with spaghetti dinners, breakfasts, weekly recycling, the annual poppy campaign, remembrance parades, ceremonies, etc.
- Maintain constant and effective communication between the Executive and the Cadet Corps Commanding Officer.
- Visit the Cadet Corps on a bi-monthly or monthly basis to get updated on the activities and progress of the Corps.
- Prepare a monthly report for the branch executive and general meetings as well as a report including photographs etc. for the Branch newsletter and social media platforms.
- Maintain communication with the Cadet Corps Support Committee regarding fundraising and the financial needs of the Cadet Corps.
- Be available to communicate with officials of both the Department of National Defence and the Army Cadet League of Canada as required regarding sponsorship matters.
- Prepare and sign letters of recommendation on behalf of the Branch for deserving Cadets that are nominated for awards such as the Legion Medal of Excellence.
- Represent the Branch at the annual Cadet Corps Review held annually in May or June each year.
- Represent the Branch at special events and parades throughout the year as requested by the Cadet Corps.